Monday, July 7, 2008

The Definition of an Apology

01/17/2008



I had a realization a couple of weeks ago about forgiveness. We are only called to forgive others as Christ forgives us. I say "only" because they key phrase here is "as Christ forgives us." God always requires that we repent to be forgiven. He never gives us (what I've hear is referred to as) "cheap grace". I've heard so many times how we are to forgive even if others don't deserve it (which is true) and not to remain angry with someone for a long period of time ('don't let the sun go down on your anger..'Eph 4:26) - which is also true, but I think somewhere along the way I've undermined in my head the importance of an apology. True healing can't begin without it. And it doesn't only consist of "I'm sorry". It needs to contain repentant words and be followed by repentant actions. True forgiveness is not a pardon and it's not condoning. It's not beneficial to the forgiver or the forgivee to merely overlook and move on.

No comments: